[jcifs] jcifs bug

Michael B.Allen mballen at erols.com
Sat Mar 23 10:46:14 EST 2002

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:16:34 -0700
"Bernie Wieser" <bernie.wieser at calgary.qcdata.com> wrote:

> Yes, but even that is dangerous!  Take the following....
>
> URL u = new URL( "smb://host/...")
>
> it will call parse right?  what if host isn't known?  then
> parse consumes the exception, does not set u, so u is bogus.

Not bogus but malformed. If you run a simple test you get:

Exception in thread "main" java.net.MalformedURLException: smb:, null
        at jcifs.smb.SmbURL.parseSmbURL(SmbURL.java:223)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.<init>(SmbFile.java:385)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.<init>(SmbFile.java:338)
        at jcifs.smb.Handler.openConnection(Handler.java:29)
        at java.net.URL.openConnection(URL.java:781)
        at java.net.URL.openStream(URL.java:798)
        at GetURL.main(GetURL.java:30)

I think that should be ok but I don't know how it will perform when
stressed. Again, the SMB Protocol handler has not been thoroughly
tested/explored (that's why I'm so glad to see you using it the way
you are).

> On the one hand, the cached info would yield a corrupt url,
> and in the new version, an unknown host or other exception
> will yield an uninitialized url, so...
>
> Someone (Me?) needs to write parse url so it doesn't actually
> try to do anything (i.e. nmblookup).  All it must do is scan...
>
> To solve our current problem, I end up rethrowing the smb exception
> as a runtime exception in parse (evil hack until fixed).

There's a noteworthy problem here. The jCIFS SMB URL is based on an IETF
draft that requires the authority component to be resolved *during the
parse* in order to determine if it's a servername like:

  smb://server

or a workgroup name:

  smb://mygroup

You can see this URL is "overloaded". So a query (actually two concurrent
queries) must go out on the wire. Otherwise there would be no reason to
go out on the wire; name resolution could be handled lazily.

Chris,

Are you even considering the:

  smb:mygroup

format suggested by the other URL IETF people?

Mike

--
May The Source be with you.