[jcifs] Question about NT Domains

Michael B. Allen miallen at eskimo.com
Sat Jun 8 11:10:46 EST 2002

On Fri, 07 Jun 2002 15:12:30 -0500
"Tony Thompson" <tony.thompson at stone-ware.com> wrote:

> I decided to try and tackle this but, I am having a couple of issues.  According to the cifsrap2.doc, an RC4 encryption must be performed on the old password before it is sent.  I didn't see anything hanging around in jCIFS that would do this.  Any suggestions?
>
> A one way transformation must also be performed on the old password.  The document describes the gyrations required to do this but, one of the elements of the transformation is "an 8 byte string whose value is available from Microsoft upon request".  Any idea what this string might be or how to get it?
>
> Is there something already in jCIFS that would do all of the above for me (i.e. is this same type of thing used anywhere else)?  I know it is a long shot but, I had to ask.

Look  at  the  top  of jcifs/smb/SmbSession.java. You can in all likelyhood
just  use  the  E()  method.  It's  probably  very similar but i don't know
really.  It will take some fiddling and reasoning. You don't really need to
know much about encryption to do it but you might want to get a capture and
copy  out  the  encrypted  value  of  a known password so you can test your
encryption method.

http://www.eskimo.com/~miallen/c/jus.c