[jcifs] Very minor oddity testing SmbComTreeConnectAndX.java

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Jul 26 12:14:42 EST 2002

It could be a terminology thing.  When I use the word "value" or write
0x0001 I mean an short integer with a value of 1.  In SMB, a value of
0x0001 would be written on the wire as two bytes, like so: { 0x01, 0x00 }.
I use the bracket notation to suggest an array of bytes rather than a
short int value.  Hope that clears things up.

> The code snipplet you provide doesn't provide enough context but if the two
> bytes represented by it refer to the two bytes in the flags short value then
> you are correct and the two lines should indeed be reversed.

Yes, that's what they're about.

> > When I turned on disconnectTid (by setting it to True and recompiling)
> > Ethereal would show a numeric value of 0x0100 (seen on the wire as {0x00,
> > 0x01}) and tell me that the disconnect bit was zero (false).  When I
> > swapped the order of those two lines I got {0x01, 0x00} on the wire, which
> > Ethereal read as 0x0001 and told me that the disconnectTid bit was true.
> >
> Yes. then the two lines probably need to be reversed but you would have to
> check some windows traces to rule out the possibilty of a bug in Ethereal
> or consider more code surrounding the two lines in question.

Understood.  Reading the raw hexdump, however, I also see { 0x00, 0x01 }.
Just a bit more evidence.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org