[jcifs] Very minor oddity testing SmbComTreeConnectAndX.java

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Jul 26 11:32:47 EST 2002

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 06:21:07PM -0400, Allen, Michael B (RSCH) wrote:
:
> > Later in the code there's this:
> >
> >                 dst[dstIndex++] = (byte)0x00;
> >                 dst[dstIndex++] = disconnectTid ? (byte)0x01 : (byte)0x00;
> >
> > I think the order of those two lines needs to be reversed.  The result is
> > showing up on the wire as 0x0001.
> >
> 	Then that looks right. Bit zero would be 0x0001.

SMB is little-endian, so 0x0001 on the wire translates to a host value of
0x0100.

When I turned on disconnectTid (by setting it to True and recompiling)
Ethereal would show a numeric value of 0x0100 (seen on the wire as {0x00,
0x01}) and tell me that the disconnect bit was zero (false).  When I
swapped the order of those two lines I got {0x01, 0x00} on the wire, which
Ethereal read as 0x0001 and told me that the disconnectTid bit was true.

It's an endian thing.  Ick.

> > PS.  As far as I can tell W/95 ignores that bit in a TreeConnect... which
> >      makes sense.  Why would there be a disconnect bit in a tree connect
> >      request?  Am I missing something or is this just silliness in the
> >      SMB?
> >
> 	It means after servicing the AndX message to disconnect. It's an
>       optimisation; in one operation you can tree connect, perform some
>	command (e.g. delete), and then disconnect.

So, if I understand correctly, the disconnect is delayed until the end of
the AndX chain.

In an AndX block like this:

  {
  SessionSetupAndX
  TreeConnectAndX (disconnect == true)
  CreateAndX
  }

the disconnect would actually follow the CreateAndX block.  If that's the
way it works, that makes sense.  I suppose it is also useful to have a
block like:

  {
  SessionSetupAndX
  TreeConnectAndX (disconnect == true)
  }

Which would verify that you had permission to connect, but not return an
open TID.

Am I close here?

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org