[jcifs] Bit 4 in FLAGS field.

Michael B. Allen miallen at eskimo.com
Wed Jul 17 16:37:31 EST 2002

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 00:52:21 -0500
"Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I was running some tests with jCIFS (output to be put into my book) and
> noticed that jCIFS is setting bit 4 of the FLAGS field.
>
> The SNIA CIFS doc says (...I quoteth from the source):
>
> Bit 4:  Obsolescent -- client case maps (canonicalizes) file and directory
>         names;  servers must ignore this flag.
>
> That last bit means that it's safe to use, but it will be ignored.  Is
> there a reason this is set?  I've found a number of things in the SNIA
> that don't quite match empicial evidence (mostly hold-overs from the
> Leach/Naik draft).

If  you  collected  all  of  those  errors, noted bugs in particular server
implementations,  and  various  nick-naks  that don't make it into the docs
because  they  punch  holes  in  the  theory  of operation it would be very
usefull.

> Just curious to know if this changes server behavior
> in your experience.

I don't remember. The SMB URL handling canonicalizes paths beforehand so to
test server behavior you would have to disable that or write some Java code
to issue low level requests that bypass the canonicalization.

--
http://www.eskimo.com/~miallen/c/jus.c