[jcifs] jCIFS error code handling.

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Fri Jul 12 15:04:58 EST 2002

	I suspect they're both *supposed* to work but if the client says it's sending
	NTSTATUS code and it asks for DOS that might be asking too much (just
	a guess though).

> Some things about the error codes...
>
> - From what I've been told, in some cases W/NT and W2K will ignore
>   the flags2 or capabilities flag and send NTSTATUS codes when they
>   shouldn't.  Have you ever seen this?

	No. I haven't done any  work on NTSTATUS codes. DOS codes are the
	common denominator so you really have to support them anyway.

> - The other potential problem is that Windows servers will assume, based
>   on the client's use of DOS codes, that the latter is not capable of some
>   extended security negotiations (and possibly other features).
>
> - I've been shown a neat little trick for creating a list of 32-bit
>   NTSTATUS codes.  It's Tridge's handiwork.  I'll be adding the details to
>   my book over the weekend.

	Ooo, lemmy guess; run strings on a dll to generate a peice of Win32 c
	code that prints them?

> That's all just random thoughts.  I'm looking for comments and any other
> wisdom regarding handling of errors.

	It would be very nice if you colloect and sort out this information.