[jcifs] jCIFS error code handling.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Jul 12 07:31:33 EST 2002

I'm working on the part of my book that talks about error messages, and
was just looking through SmbException.java.  What I note is that jCIFS
uses the DOS style of error messages.

I am trying to figure out whether the extended NTSTATUS error codes are
negotiated by setting bit 14 in the FLAGS2 field or by setting the
capabilities bit.  One of these says "I want 32-bit codes" and the other
says "I'm sending a 32-bit code".

Some things about the error codes...

- From what I've been told, in some cases W/NT and W2K will ignore
  the flags2 or capabilities flag and send NTSTATUS codes when they
  shouldn't.  Have you ever seen this?

- The other potential problem is that Windows servers will assume, based
  on the client's use of DOS codes, that the latter is not capable of some
  extended security negotiations (and possibly other features).

- I've been shown a neat little trick for creating a list of 32-bit
  NTSTATUS codes.  It's Tridge's handiwork.  I'll be adding the details to
  my book over the weekend.

That's all just random thoughts.  I'm looking for comments and any other
wisdom regarding handling of errors.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org