[jcifs] SMB URL

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Jul 10 15:01:15 EST 2002

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 12:29:59AM -0400, Allen, Michael B (RSCH) wrote:
> Chris,
>
> If you really want to include scope in the name then go ahead. No one
> will support a dot in a NetBIOS name anyway so the whole debate is moot.
> In theory your scheme will probably work so you're covered. In practice
> implementers will zap that %2E escape and thus render such names invalid
> but that's insignificant in the scope of things (pun intended).

No, what I really want to do is work this out, particularly for jCIFS.

We don't have to do it tonight and, as you say, I don't think that it's a
big deal because it's not common.  In the rare cases it does happen,
though, I don't think jCIFS should "zap" the %2E escape.  I think that the
URL management should handle that.

I've now written some code that partially handles the URL parsing and
such.  I don't have a complete enough implementation to demonstrate that
it can be done, so I'd be foolish to do more than say that I really don't
understand the problem.

What is the status of URL parsing in 0.6.5?  There were some issues which
you were working on.  Perhaps I should be digging into that...

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org