[jcifs] SMB URL

Michael B. Allen miallen at eskimo.com
Sun Jul 7 15:42:30 EST 2002

On Sun, 7 Jul 2002 00:02:47 -0500
"Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 08:03:16PM -0400, Michael B. Allen wrote:
> > On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 15:47:15 -0500
> > "Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I need to get a new SMB URL draft into the IETF.  The current is set to
> > > expire.
> > >
> > > Some quick thoughts:
> > >
> > > - I went over the list of parameters that can be set using the ?<query>
> > >   syntax and removed a few (per Mike's suggestion, IIRC).  The current
> > >   list is:
> > >
> > >       nbt_param     = ( ( "NBNS=" | "WINS=" ) host )
> > >                       | ( "NBDD=" host )
> > >                       | ( "SCOPE=" hostname )
> > >                       | ( "CALLED=" netbiosname )
> > >                       | ( "CALLING=" netbiosname )
> > >                       | ( ( "WORKGROUP=" | "NTDOMAIN=" ) nbtname )
> > >                       | ( "RESOLVE=" nbt_resorder )
> >
> > I  would  rather you introduce only the obviously useful parameters so that
> > we  can  incorporate  that  functionality  into  clients and then gradually
> > determine what other parameters would be useful.
>
> Well, following a heated discussion on #samba-technical IRC, I could be
> convinced that only the SCOPE is worth-while, and even that is
> questionable.
>
> What would happen if all of the above parameter options were removed?
> It seems to me that most of them would need to be configured within the
> application.  That might be a pain in tools like Mozilla or Netscape.
>
> Thoughts?

What  were  their  arguments  against?  I  think query string parameters in
general  is  a  good  idea  so I don't see how anyone can fault them. But I
think  you  should  restrict  the introductory set to the minimum. SCOPE is
necessary  if  it's not woven into the URL. NBNS/WINS is something I have a
tendency to specify on the commmandline with jCIFS so I think that would be
the runner up. That would be good enough just to introduce the idea and let
it  grow.  For  example  jCIFS  could  simply  expose  all  non-global java
properties using this technique.

  java smb://slowserver/tmp/file.doc?WINS=192.168.1.1&SOTIMEOUT=30000

--
http://www.eskimo.com/~miallen/c/jus.c