[jcifs] SMB URL

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sun Jul 7 06:47:15 EST 2002

I need to get a new SMB URL draft into the IETF.  The current is set to
expire.

Some quick thoughts:

- I went over the list of parameters that can be set using the ?<query>
  syntax and removed a few (per Mike's suggestion, IIRC).  The current
  list is:

      nbt_param     = ( ( "NBNS=" | "WINS=" ) host )
                      | ( "NBDD=" host )
                      | ( "SCOPE=" hostname )
                      | ( "CALLED=" netbiosname )
                      | ( "CALLING=" netbiosname )
                      | ( ( "WORKGROUP=" | "NTDOMAIN=" ) nbtname )
                      | ( "RESOLVE=" nbt_resorder )

- In the current draft, you can specify:

    smb://<NetBIOS_NAME>.<ScopeID>

  I'm thinking that it would be better to disallow the specification of
  the scope in the server field.  Instead, you would have to write the
  above as:

    smb://<NetBIOS_NAME>?SCOPE=<ScopeID>

- This is the controversial one...
  In the current draft, you can type:

    smb://<name>

  and if <name> resolves to a workgroup name you will get the browselist
  for that workgroup (assuming it's available somewhere).  I am thinking
  that we could change that to:

    smb://?WORKGROUP=<name>

  to get the browselist for that workgroup.

Thoughts?

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org