[jcifs] holding open a connection

Bruce Altner baltner at hq.nasa.gov
Sat Jan 12 22:29:05 EST 2002

Greetings:

In my trials to date with jCIFS I been holding the user auth information in
memory (servlet session) and reauthenticating with each call to the file
system. This has worked oK with just myself but as we get closer to
deployment day I'm starting to think that this approach will kill the
domain controller once the system is under load (anticipate 100-200
simultaneous users max). It is also a possible invitation to a denial of
service attack.

I have been toying with the idea of an xml-based caching mechanism but it
would need to be refreshed too often to be useful. If there were a way to
hold a network connection open, once authenticated, so that repeated
"logins" to the file servers were not necessary, that would be ideal. Does
this capability exist? Are the issues I've raised real concerns?

Thanks,
Bruce