[jcifs] Some shares are not reported by jCIFS

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Dec 31 06:20:09 EST 2002

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 01:56:30PM -0800, Sundari Karra wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> We are using jCIFS to query the shares on a Solaris machine and it does not
> return all the shares, only some are reported.  Has anyone seen this
> problem, if so what is the reason and any fixes for the problem?

If the share names are longer than 12 characters then the NetServerEnum
RAP call won't report them.  This is a known problem in the protocol.  If
that's what you are seeing, then try a W/9x box.  Those boxes don't
support the required MS-RPC calls and also won't show you the long share
names.

You don't really give enough information so I'm just guessing that that's
the problem.

The solution is to implement the Microsoft Remote Proceedure Call system
(MS-RPC) which is a huge undertaking.  There is a newer function call
available via MS-RPC that can read the longer sharenames.  We're looking
for volunteers to implement MS-RPC calls for jCIFS.  :)

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org