[jcifs] SMB URL and Active Directory.

Frode E. Moe frode at coretrek.no
Wed Dec 18 18:24:50 EST 2002

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 05:16:26PM -0600, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> 1) The ldapsearch tool returns an error if I aim it at an AD server:
>    ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Unknown authentication method
>    The web browsers I've tried (those few that support LDAP) don't seem to
>    be able to connect either.

If you use the ldapsearch tool from OpenLDAP (for example from the OpenLDAP
"ldap-utils" debian package, which is the one I use), you must be sure to
specify the '-x' commandline option to enable "simple authentication",
otherwise  you'll get that error. You'll probably also want "-w password"
or "-W" (for a password prompt).

I use something like this:
(for host "ADserver.fully.qualified")

ldapsearch -h ADserver -x -D cn=Administrator,cn=Users,dc=ADserver,dc=fully,dc=qualified -W -b dc=ADserver,dc=fully,dc=qualified

This should prompt you for the administrator password and dump a whole lot of
AD/LDAP data. If the user name is invalid (for example if you forget the
"cn=Users" part) you might not get an error message but a very short data
dump. (as if you'd connect anonymously)

Hope this helps!