[jcifs] getType question

andrea.lanza at frameweb.it andrea.lanza at frameweb.it
Tue Dec 17 08:09:39 EST 2002

Hi again, I am happy to have raisen the question about Tomcat class Path
and I am very much more happy to have solved that with your help !
Now a dramatically easier question:
Why if I try to use the smbfile getType() method I am not able to get the
Printer Type ? I have a printer shared on my network, his name (her name ?
is a printer female? boh!) is HPLJ3D. I see it shared and if I check the
Type it is NOT PRINTER , but FILESYSTEM.
Let's say I get a smbFile to smb://myserver/HPLJ3D, and then use getType()
method on that smbFile.
Is it correct ? And if it is correct, how can I detect if it is a printer ?

Another question: is it a way to check if I have the rigth to read a file,
or do I have to check for the SMBException after trying to read it ?

thanks in advance,
Andrea