[jcifs] Annoying SMB URL question.

Glass, Eric eric.glass at capitalone.com
Tue Dec 10 00:01:09 EST 2002

> > Just beating a dead horse -- I would think the
> escaped-backslash syntax
> > (i.e., DOMAIN%5Cuser) would be more consistent, given that
> >
> > a) The DOMAIN\user syntax is most widely used by the MS tools
> >
> > b) You can already do http://DOMAIN%5Cuser:pass@webhost for
> NTLM-protected
> > content on IIS webservers (not entirely relevant, I know, but maybe
> > worthwhile for consistency's sake)
>
> Not even going to discuss these first two arguments.

Fair enough.

> > c) Selecting ";" simply because it doesn't have to be
> escaped doesn't really
> > buy you anything; to be correct, your applications will
> still have to be
> > able to unescape whatever separator is chosen.  i.e.:

Actually, my previous statement above is incorrect.  Using ';' as the
reserved (as defined in RFC 2396, section 2.2) delimiter for domain-user
separation would NOT necessarily require that an application handle the
instance in which the semicolon is escaped as '%3B'.  For the sake of
completeness in the spec, it might be worthwhile to specify whether the
presence of '%3B' is to be treated as an encoded separator (valid) or as an
encoded literal ';' (which would be an illegal character in this case).
This would only be significant in determining whether something like:

smb://user%3Binfo:password@server

should be parsed as the (valid) user "info" in domain "user", or the
(invalid) username "user;info" with no domain qualifier.