[jcifs] Annoying SMB URL question.

Conrad Minshall conrad at apple.com
Fri Dec 6 19:39:22 EST 2002

At 11:29 PM -0600 12/5/02, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
>So, I was fiddling with the SMB URL syntax again...

Uh oh.

>We currently have:
>
>   smb://nt_dom;user:pass@server/
>
>That works well with general URL syntax, but I think that this is more
>intuitive:
>
>   smb://user:pass@nt_dom;server/
>
>This second option parses differently:
>
>      userinfo @ host
>      ^             ^
>     / \           / \
>user : pass nt_dom ; server
>
>So the authentication host must be pulled out of the server name string
>instead of the the user name string.
>
>So the questions are:
>
>1) Is it actually more intuitive? (to the user, I'd say yes)

To me it is, but real users aren't wanting to mess with URL text, are
they?  They'd rather click on links,  or on icons for domains,
servers, and sharepoints ...letting software create the URL thingy,
including any percent escapes of course.  Sometimes a prompt for user
and password will be required, but often not, as that may be known
from an earlier operation.

>2) Is it worth it?

Sure, if your goal is to break existing URL parsing code *smile*