[jcifs] SessionKey field.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sat Aug 24 12:08:49 EST 2002

There's an odd field in the Negotiate Protocol Response called the
SessionKey field.  It does not appear to have any relationship to
encryption or validation.  It's just a unique number generated by the
server (W/95, for example).

I see that it is also present in the Session Setup Andx Request.

Is this field used, and if so how?  jCIFS doesn't echo it back to the
server, but smbclient does (which is what I'd expect).  Yet jCIFS seems to
work fine.

Either the field is ignored or I'm missing something obvious.  Clues
welcome.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org

  "...what Microsoft has got in there is a grotesque, badly-documented
   pile of poo it doesn't fully understand itself."    -- The Register
                         http://theregister.co.uk/content/4/26803.html