[jcifs] We have a screenshot!

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Tue Aug 20 14:03:18 EST 2002

	I'm afraid this might just be Java. Period. But Tomcat is quiet slow compared to
	resin and many people noticed a sizeable performace gain with jCIFS 0.5 (I think
	that's when I rearranged the IO buffers). Remains to be seen.

	When I (one user) click through NetworkExplorer running on Resin it's *very fast*.
	Takes less than 1 sec for the page to load unless it's your WINNT/System32 directory
	which takes ~7 seconds to list 1345 objects. Regular Explorer takes about 5 to do
	the same.

	Actually there's a way to improve this so that's it's faster than Explorer. If I add a
	method like listFiles( Lister lister ) where Lister is an interface with a mehtod that
	receives arrays of SmbFiles repeatedly to incrementally read directory entries I
	can start pushing them down to the client as their being read from the SMB server.
	That would *appear* to be a lot faster because the top of the display will update
	almost immediately even on huge directories with 20000 files.

> I found that for the most part internet explorer ignored the
> content-type header and relied on the file extension to determine how to
> handle it.

	Yes. This is true. IE totally ignores the Content-type field. But all other browsers
	do not so it's pretty annoying if you don't submit the proper content type.