[jcifs] jCIFS Web Server Down.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Aug 2 01:29:25 EST 2002

Well, if you haven't noticed...  The main web server for jCIFS is down.

The problem:
  The jCIFS site is hosted on us6.samba.org.  A week or so ago we started
  an upgrade on that box.  The purpose was to fix the announced problems
  with OpenSSH and Apache.  It was decided that a full OS upgrade was
  probably long over due.

  The box is housed at the local facilities of a large telephone company.
  They have lots of bandwidth, and are hosting the server on their
  hardware.  Unfortunately, with the turnover in the telecom industry and
  all, the people who set up the box are no longer with the company.
  US6.Samba.Org has been running quietly, on its own, with no intervention
  for a very, very long time.

  The OS upgrade was done remotely.  Everything went fine until the
  machine was rebooted.  Upon reboot, the system did an fsck on the boot
  drive and discovered that the drive was hosed.  A friend of mine, and
  former employee of said telco, got permission to go back in and fix the
  box...which he did (during the wee hours of the night).  jCIFS.Samba.Org
  / US6.Samba.Org were up and running again the next day... but then it
  went down again.

  Time constraints (people have jobs and such) and the difficulties
  involved in getting permission to go back into a sensitive area, have
  delayed any further attempts to revive the hardware.

The solution:
  I'm going to see if the main jCIFS.Samba.Org can be moved to a different
  Samba server and mirrored across all/some of the Samba mirrors.  I'll
  let people know.

I owe a debt of gratitude both to my friend and to the telco for providing
the free hosting for so long.  Moving the service to different machines
will relieve them of the problems, so that's what I'm looking to do.  In
the mean time, there is still a chance that the current system will come
back online.  Cross fingers!

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org