[solved?] Re: [jcifs] NbtAddress.getByName() failing when I use a hostname.]

Rob Wygand rob at filefish.com
Wed Sep 26 09:14:24 EST 2001

Michael B. Allen wrote:

>>>Particularly, I switched from using the NBT name in the URL to create an
>>>SmbFile to a domain name.

I see the source of your confusion.. when I said "domain name" above, I
should have said DNS name. No, I'm not using the name of a Windows
Domain anywhere and trying to tack on (.filefish.com) onto it =D

Sorry for that lack of clarity on my part!

Indeed, pickle is the netbios name of a machine and pickle.filefish.com
is the dns name of the same machine. It's IP address is 10.1.3.10. Using:

smb://pickle/share/foo.txt
	ALWAYS works

smb://pickle.filefish.com/share/foo.txt
	works sometimes (as I described in previous mails)

smb://10.1.3.10/share/foo.txt
	always works

Hope that clears it up.
rjw