[solved?] Re: [jcifs] NbtAddress.getByName() failing when I use a hostname.]

Rob Wygand rob at filefish.com
Wed Sep 26 08:51:46 EST 2001

When I say became, I mean I changed it from pickle (NBT) to
pickle.filefish.com (DNS). This could easily have been pickle (NBT) and
relish.filefish.com (DNS). Both names resolve to the name box, of course.

Not sure what you mean when you say we need to have a long talk..
according to the JCIFS API docs, "The server component may a traditional
NetBIOS name, a DNS name, or IP address. These name resolution
mechanisms and their resolution order can be changed..."

I'm just saying that as long as it's a NBT or an IP it works great, but
name resolution when it's a DNS name is flaky. Like I said, it worked
once or twice then started throwing UnknownHostExceptions until I
restarted my app, then worked again a few times until it started
throwing exceptions again. As soon as I switched to an IP address
instead of the DNS name it worked great.

The exception it was throwing was that PICKLE.FILEFISH. was not a known
host. I'm fairly certain that jcifs.netbios.resolveOrder had DNS first.

I've got a workaround that works, so I'm not in any great need, but I
wanted to let you know that I had this, what I consider weird, problem.

rjw