[jcifs] MSBROWSE ?

Michael B. Allen mballen at erols.com
Sat Sep 22 08:44:59 EST 2001

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 08:36:57AM +0100, J.Sugrue at pilz.ie wrote:

> hi Chris,
>
> It is the second one ( <01><02>_MSBROWSE_<02><01>)
>
> This machine does have 2 network cards. Is there anyway to find out whether
>  the request is only going out one of the interfaces, or
> that jCIFS is only listening for replies on one interface

For jCIFS to retrive the list of hosts or enumerate domains on a NetBIOS
network, the Master Browser must be queried. This is done by broadcasting
a for a special name that has the word MSBROWSE in it. If a master browser
is not found it is likely that the network settings for jCIFS will need
to be adjusted. There are several properties available to do this. See
the bottom of the Overview Summary in the jCIFS API documentation for
details about all available jCIFS properties and how to set them.

Here are some properties that are specific to the problem you describe:

  jcifs.netbios.baddr
  jcifs.smb.client.laddr
  jcifs.netbios.laddr

Note, you can simply specify laddr=<ip of interface> without the prefix
and I believe that will set both the transport and netbios name service
interfaces. I believe baddr will also be important.