[Fwd: Re: [jcifs] Re: SMB URL]

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Fri Sep 14 03:34:45 EST 2001

> That would make more sense. Because of the way things work on Mac OS X
> we have too support both URLs. Currently when a user types in the URL
> or in fact when they Browse the network we get pass the url down to
> our resolve name code. This code then tries to figure out the best way
> to connect to the remote system. So as long as it is just a default
> that would work in our case.

Let me catch up here...

George, are you now saying that it would be okay if...

smb://  - defaults to SMB/NBT (port 139) semantics, and
cifs:// - defaults to CIFS/TCP (port 445) semantics?

I need a one-way-or-the-other answer.  Either

    smb:// is *only* NBT and cifs:// is *only* CIFS over TCP

or

    the two are interchangable.

Otherwise we have a problem because the same URL string will mean one
thing for one implementation and another thing under another
implementation.

Chris -)-----