[jcifs] Re: SMB URL

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba-tng.org
Thu Sep 13 00:17:42 EST 2001

hiya chris,

you might also want to include

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 09:50:15AM -0500, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> * The URL will support both SMB over NBT and SMB over native TCP (port
>   445 semantics).  I do *not* yet know if/how a browse list can be
>   obtained from a W2K domain (a non-NBT browse list, probably stored in
>   Active Directory), so I do not yet know if/how the SMB URL could be used
>   to access a W2K Domain service list.

that is not part of file-serving, unless you want to
go down the route of specifying IPC$ as one of the shares,
whereupon it becomes a matter of specifying requests etc.

i wouldn't recommend that this be done, not least because
dce/rpc is available over http (proxied by ms from port 80
to port 593, iirc correctly)

> * The trailing "query string" syntax, common in URL strings, will likely
>   be supported for the purpose of adding additional parameters such as
>   the WINS server IP address, the Called Name to be used, etc.

have you considered specifying parts of files? (?start=NNNN&length=NNNN)
[also have you looked at DAV?]

also, does the specification explicitly mention streams, which
are referenced via two colons followed by the stream name
(e.g. filename::data is the data stream, synonymous with the
file itself).

a lot of security mistakes have been made in IIS plugin
components due to parsing of URLs that 'forget' about
being able to reference the filename as sourcecode.asp::data
which of course doesn't have an extension of .asp so is
allowed.

luke