[jcifs] UnknownHostException

Bruce Altner baltner at hq.nasa.gov
Tue Nov 20 23:35:21 EST 2001

Mike:

Yes, I think I definitely  have a "different subnet" problem here, for two
reasons.

a) I had a working prototype file broker that stopped working when I moved
it to a development machine on a different subnet. So I referenced a WINS
server by setting the jcifs.netbios.wins property and  then it worked (for
getting files from specific shares or a list of shares from specific hosts).

b) Encountering the problem described below for getting the list of hosts
in a workgroup, I moved the HostLister code back to the original box and it
worked fine for a workgroup on that subnet but failed, with the same error,
for a workgroup on a different subnet.

I'm not positive, but I think this could be a major obstacle in my team's
path to fame and glory on this project. Without putting any pressure on
you, can you give me a sense of the timeframe when you think you might be
able to enable lookups of the LMB within jCIFS? Is there something we can
do to help? For example, what do you mean by getting a "packet captures of
this process?" Maybe we could provide this...?

Thanks for the quick reply and for the good work. Version 0.6b is about 3
times faster than 0.5.1 on fetching long lists of documents and their
attributes, according to my rough benchmark tests.

Bruce

At 07:40 PM 11/19/2001 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]

"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!" ---Calvin

Phone: 202-651-8553
Pager Email:8273479 at skytel.com