[jcifs] UnknownHostException

Bruce Altner baltner at hq.nasa.gov
Tue Nov 20 09:22:36 EST 2001

Greetings:

I am trying to get a list of host machines within a workgroup using
SmbFile.list(url) with a url specified this way:

String url = "smb://"+domain;

where my domain (workgroup) is specified externally, e.g., from the command
line.  When I do this, however, I get
an UnknownHostException from jcifs-0.6b (see below). Does that mean it is
interpreting the workgroup name as a host name?
The url syntax for returning a list of hosts in a workgroup and the list of
shares on a host is the same so in this case it must think I'm asking for
shares and can't find the host but I'm asking for hosts by specifying the
domain. What am I missing? Is it something I have to specify with
jcifs.Config.setProperty?

Thanks,
Bruce

Exception.getMessage() returns: HQIRMS
Exception.printStackTrace() returns:
java.net.UnknownHostException: HQIRMS
         at jcifs.UniAddress.getByName(UniAddress.java:227)
         at jcifs.smb.SmbURL.parseSmbURL(SmbURL.java:72)
         at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.<init>(SmbFile.java:368)
         at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.<init>(SmbFile.java:321)
         at ListHosts.main(ListHosts.java:21)
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!" ---Calvin

Phone: 202-651-8553
Pager Email:8273479 at skytel.com