SV: [jcifs] BFS vs DFS

Michael B. Allen mballen at erols.com
Mon Jul 30 18:00:29 EST 2001

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 08:22:23AM +0200, Torgny Johansson wrote:
> For example after doing nothing for atleast 5 minutes I get this error when
> listing a share:
>
> Listing: A1M3Z4
> jul 30 08:14:08.158 - SmbFile exception
> java.net.NoRouteToHostException: Ingen kommunikation med värddatorn
>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:312)
>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:125)
>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:112)
>         at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:273)
>         at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:177)
>         at jcifs.netbios.NbtSocket.<init>(NbtSocket.java:54)
>         at jcifs.netbios.NbtSocket.<init>(NbtSocket.java:50)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.ensureOpen(SmbTransport.java:215)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:400)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.negotiate(SmbTransport.java:525)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:362)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.sessionSetup(SmbSession.java:154)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:128)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.treeConnect(SmbTree.java:84)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.sendTransaction(SmbTree.java:49)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.netShareEnum(SmbTree.java:296)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.list(SmbFile.java:702)
>         at ListShareContents.listDirs(ListShareContents.java:32)
>         at ListPcs.listShare(ListPcs.java:115)
> 	at ListPcs.main(ListPcs.java:192)
> 	listShare failed: java.lang.NullPointerException
>
> "Ingen kommunikation med vräddatorn" is Swedish and mean "No communication
> with host".

Are shares listed in Swedish or are the characters all messed up with
lots of question marks? I remember you asking for Swedish codepage
support but Windows 2000 and NT should use Unicode which is supported.

Also, if I created a ResourceBundle for jCIFS would you translate the
text descriptions in jcifs/smb/SmbException.java to Swedish? There's
probably only about 20 one sentence messages. Take a look.

> I don't know if this tells you anything about what's wrong.

I think it's obvious what's happening at this point. Think about it. If it
takes 11 hours for you to crawl over the whole network it's possible that
someone turned off that pc. A1M3Z4 is probably a student pc in the chem
lab that they turn off at 9pm :~) That no communication exception is no
doubt accurate. You're trying to connect to a machine that's not listening
anyore. Bet that's it. Next time try using Explorer or smbclient on it.