[jcifs] 0x1B names.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sun Jul 29 09:30:48 EST 2001

Quick question...

(Yes, I ask a lot of these.  I don't get many answers though.  A shame.)

The 0x1B name represents a Domain Master Browser (DMB).  In Microsoft
terms this is also a PDC.  Microsoft created a special extension to handle
these names.  You can send a wildcard query with an 0x1B name type to a WINS
server and it will return a list of up to 25 DMB names.

...or so I'm told.  I'd like to see this in a capture, if anyone has one.
I want to know what the padding character is.  It could either be a space
(common for most name queries) or a nul (used for wildcard queries).  It
could be that both are acceptable.  I don't have a Microsoft WINS server
to test against.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org