[jcifs] querying a wins server for a list of workgroups

Michael B. Allen mballen at erols.com
Sun Jul 29 05:01:59 EST 2001

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 11:10:52AM -0500, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> > > That's not consistent with the purpose of URLs.
> >
> > Well, the URL for addressing a workgroup would not change. It would just
> > be like smb://name. The code would just have to query the NAME<0x20>,
> > NAME<0x1D>, and now NAME<0x1B> all in parallel. Actually this might be
> > as easy as just switchingg the 0x1D for 0x1B. Talk about a one-liner,
> > how about 1 character -- wouldn't that be embarrassing :~P
>
> Call it a jCIFS feature then.  :)
>
> Hmmm...  You need to query both the 0x1D and the 0x1B.  There may not be a
> DMB (these are, of course, optional).  Also, note that 0x1B names should

True. We have to do all three 0x20, 0x1D, and 0x1B.

> Also, what I was talking about above was querying remote *Local* Master
> Browsers, not the Domain Master Browser.  Querying the DMB was an idea you

You have to use 0x1B. You cannot find an LMB on another subnet.

> Note that there is no real advantage to getting the browse list from the DMB
> instead of the LMB.  The DMB might have more up-to-date information about

Again, no choice here. This could all be moot however because the only
way to know for sure is to watch NT. Even if it uses the MSRPC call
to retrieve the list it still has to go throught the same name service
hoops. We'll just copy that as usuall and then use RAP instead.