SV: SV: [jcifs] BFS vs DFS

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sat Jul 28 01:28:55 EST 2001

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 07:47:45AM +0200, Torgny Johansson wrote:
:
> What's taking time is sometimes when there are no shares on a pc or if the
> pc can't be found.

Hmmm...  I can imagine that there would be a timeout problem when a server
cannot be found, but I'm surprised that no shares would cause a delay.

> Also, the LAN I'm crawling is on many different subnets. I've set the wins,
> but I have to set the baddr to the same adress as the wins to be able to
> list all online pcs.

That's odd.

> Otherwise my crawler can't list any workgroups.

Huh?  That doesn't make sense.  You need to use broadcast name resolution
to find the workgroups.

Mike, what do you think is happening here?

> I suppose it was this you guys talked about in an earlier discussion and this
> was being dealt with in the 0.6 ver, right?

I'm not sure what's happening here.  It doesn't sync with my understanding
of the workings of this stuff.  By setting the baddr to the same address
as the NBNS you are, essentially, forcing P mode.  I don't know how you
can find a local Master Browser in P mode (or why NBNS queries don't work
if you set the baddr to the local subnet).

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org