[jcifs] SMB URL @ CIFS Conference

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Aug 21 10:45:30 EST 2001

Of interest:  There are multiple client implementations here that have
started including support for the SMB URL.  One problem is that they are
allowing the use of either CIFS:// or SMB:// interchangably.  Another
problem is that they are supporting SMB over both NBT and native TCP.
That's not compatible with what we've got written so far.

I've asked Steve French about the workings of SMB over native TCP and he
seems to feel that there are very few differences.  Little that would make
it difficult to use an SMB-over-NBT client to connect to an SMB-over-TCP
share with only minor changes.

So, I am considering adding support for port 445 semantics to the SMB URL
doc.  It would be nice if I could get some verification that this will be
easy to do.

Thoughts?

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org