SV: RE: [jcifs] About the long crawling time again...

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Thu Aug 9 08:23:26 EST 2001

	Well, nmblookup will work because thats just doing a name lookup. At least it will if you query wins with $ nmblookup -U 130.236.230.9 -R.

> astmatix <70> java -Djcifs.wins=130.236.230.9 Test A828
> Host exists.

	Sure. Again, this is just doing a host lookup which comes from WINS. If you call exists() on a workgroup name or server name then the actuall server connect may not work because the host may
be down. If exists() returns true when querying a share or file then you should definiately not get a connect error  though (I beleive this was the context discussed before?).

> astmatix <71> telnet 130.236.218.28 139
> Trying 130.236.218.28... (had to ctrl+c here cause nothing happened)

	Yeah. That's failing to connect. Is this one of the IPs of a host that hung jCIFS?

> astmatix <72> ping A828
> ping: unknown host A828

	This will try to do a DNS query on that name and sent it ICMP packets. It doesn't tell you a lot about a NetBIOS network really.

> astmatix <74> ping 130.236.218.28
> no answer from 130.236.218.28
> (got the IP from the log when I ran my Test program)

	Same.

	If you have nmblookup then you probably have smbclient? If you encounter a "lame" host try using smbclient on it. I think we've come full circle though and we're back to my original assumtion
which is that you're trying to connect to a host that is not alive. The problem is that you're underlying network implementation is waiting a long while to report connection failure which is strange.
That could be a bug in JDK1.3.

	Mike