SV: RE: [jcifs] About the long crawling time again...

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Thu Aug 9 06:30:05 EST 2001

I don't know Torgny. You really got me with this one. It successfully resolves
the name as a file service but trying to connect to port 139 at that IP looks
like it just makes the socket connect hang. I think an important diagnostic
here would be to try and telnet to one of these "lame" hosts on port 139.
You're not going to actually "log in" of course but it will confirm wheather or
not the host is indeed living.

For example a successfull connect would give you a "Connected to"
message like:

$ telnet 130.236.186.15 139
Trying 130.236.186.15...
Connected to 130.236.186.15.
Escape character is '^]'.

whereas failure will result in the familar "No route to host" like:

[miallen at prodlinux miallen]$ telnet 130.236.186.15 139
Trying 130.236.186.15...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host

Can you try it?

Thanks,
Mike