[distcc] distcc client with zeroconf not working (for cross compilation)

Vijay Tandeker vijayt at tejasnetworks.com
Fri May 21 14:04:33 UTC 2021

Hi,

I am Vijay Tandeker working with "Tejas Networks Ltd, India".

http://0pointer.net/blog/projects/avahi-distcc.html
I am following the above link.

Below are my system details:
[vijayt at vijayt-dt:~]$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        20.04
Codename:       focal

[vijayt at vijayt-dt:~]$ distcc --version
distcc 3.3.3
  (protocols 1, 2 and 3) (default port 3632)
  built Feb 21 2020 19:22:05
Copyright (C) 2002, 2003, 2004 by Martin Pool.
Includes miniLZO (C) 1996-2002 by Markus Franz Xaver Johannes Oberhumer.
Portions Copyright (C) 2007-2008 Google.

distcc comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  distcc is free software, and
you may use, modify and redistribute it under the terms of the GNU
General Public License version 2 or later.

Built with Zeroconf support.

Built with GSS-API support for mutual authentication.

Please report bugs to distcc at lists.samba.org<mailto:distcc at lists.samba.org>

I am using distcc to cross compile (for ppc_85xx-gcc) my source. Some of the machines are running Ubuntu 18.04 and some are running Ubuntu 16.04 in LAN. But same cross compiler /opt/ELDK42/usr/bin/ppc_85xx-gcc is installed in the same location in all the machines. And distcc is passing absolute path to the server machines to compile the file.

I am also using "ccache" and set "CCACHE_PREFIX=distcc".

Problem statement:
-----------------------------
If I specify individual host IPs in /home/vijayt/.distcc/hosts file, distcc works fine (verified with distccmon-text command). But if I only specify "+zeroconf" in hosts file, distcc doesn't work and full compilation happens in my machine (localhost) only.

I ran the command "avahi-browse -r _distcc._tcp" and below is the output. (detailed output is attached for our reference)
+ enp1s0 IPv6 distcc at abhirupm                               Distributed Compiler local
+ enp1s0 IPv6 distcc at sahyadri-dt                            Distributed Compiler local
+ enp1s0 IPv6 distcc at rinshad-dt                             Distributed Compiler local
+ enp1s0 IPv6 distcc at shivakranthi                           Distributed Compiler local
+ enp1s0 IPv6 distcc at kailash                                Distributed Compiler local
+ enp1s0 IPv6 distcc at nilgiri                                Distributed Compiler local
+ enp1s0 IPv6 distcc at arjunudayakumar                        Distributed Compiler local
+ enp1s0 IPv6 distcc at vijayt-dt                              Distributed Compiler local
+ enp1s0 IPv4 distcc at abhirupm                               Distributed Compiler local
+ enp1s0 IPv4 distcc at sahyadri-dt                            Distributed Compiler local
+ enp1s0 IPv4 distcc at rinshad-dt                             Distributed Compiler local
+ enp1s0 IPv4 distcc at shivakranthi                           Distributed Compiler local
+ enp1s0 IPv4 distcc at kailash                                Distributed Compiler local
+ enp1s0 IPv4 distcc at GSN-DT                                 Distributed Compiler local
+ enp1s0 IPv4 distcc at nilgiri                                Distributed Compiler local
+ enp1s0 IPv4 distcc at arjunudayakumar                        Distributed Compiler local
+ enp1s0 IPv4 distcc at vijayt-dt                              Distributed Compiler local
+     lo IPv4 distcc at vijayt-dt                              Distributed Compiler local
= enp1s0 IPv6 distcc at abhirupm                               Distributed Compiler local

Means many machines are running distccd server with zeroconf and successfully discovered by the avahi-daemon also.
Don't know why my distcc client is unable to discover above machines for compilation? Need your help to resolve this.

Am I missing any configuration ? Let me know if you need output of any other command.

Thanks & Regards,
Vijay