[distcc] advice on checking that distcc is working correctly in gentoo Inbox x

Michael Fothergill mikef20000 at hotmail.com
Fri May 15 10:32:50 UTC 2020

Dear All,

I have installed distcc on two machines running gentoo amd64 stable.

One is a kaveri box and the other is an FX 8350 box.

I am new to distcc.

I am trying to create a set up where the FX 8350 box is the helper device or I think what people term the volunteer device and I term the server device that is doing extra compilation work on behalf the client box; that is the kaveri box in my case.

I may be getting the terminology wrong here.  If so please would you be kind enough to correct me.

My efforts to date with this are discussed here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1112858.html

The client kaveri box is running reasonably well in that I think the distcmmon-gui distcc monitor fires up and shows jobs progressing listed as localhost 0 and localhost 1 when I submit compilations (e.g. world updates etc) on the local gentoo install on the client box.

But when I look at the helper box I can't see any evidence of it doing any extra compilations that look like they would be part of the list of packages to be compiled by the client machine.

I think I have got distccd running properly on the helper machine and I also feel somewhat confident for a beginner that I have a minimal configuration for the distccd package to function reasonably well on the helper machine.

The default config file seems to have enough commands in it to allow a local subnet to be shared between the machines which are connected to a router here in a local domestic environment.

I am interested in any simple diagnostic tests that you could recommend that I as a beginner learning about distcc could undertake to verify whether it is really working properly, in particular that the helper machine is infact truly being properly recruited by the client machine and sharing some of the work load.

Many thanks for any suggestions you could make that can help here.

Regards

Michael Fothergill