[distcc] Project Planning

Anders Björklund anders at psqr.se
Sat Oct 8 12:50:06 UTC 2016

Thomas A. F. Thorne wrote:

> I am not able to elevate other users or perform administrative
> functions on the distcc repository or the distcc organisation.  I
> know several people on this list are the some of original authors of
> distcc and that they have higher permissions on the distcc
> organisation.
>
> Otavio is a recently added co-owner who helped with the migration of
> the project from Google Code before the project history was lost.
> There are also a handful of recently active contributors on GitHub
> who were trying to tidy up the loose ends of the 3.2 release.  The
> most recent developments in that area can be found at
> https://github.com/distcc/distcc/issues/159
> https://github.com/distcc/distcc/pull/178
> https://github.com/distcc/distcc/pull/182

The suggestion was to do the branch-out of 3.2-maint _before_ changing
from python to python3. My suggestion of allowing python2 was rejected.
So you would have one maintenance branch that still "allowed" the
system's python in maintenance and one master that required python3...

I suppose you want to do some 3.3 releases from master, at some point.
But tagging the 3.2rc1 and doing some 3.2.x release would be a start ?

> Perhaps yourself, Omer (thedrow, omerzimp), (paranormal), Anders
> (afbjorklund), I (TafThorne) and anyone else who is interest on this
> email list, could discuss a release strategy as the first step to
> becoming organised.  Which versions do we want to do maintenance on?
> Do we feel that keeping Python 2.4 support is important?  Can we
> merge anything that builds, passes a basic functionality test and
> does not seem a terrible idea straight onto master and put of
> thinking about a release until some date in the future?  These are
> all probably things do ask on another thread.

I'm not sure what the plan was for pump mode, after the 2to3 upgrade.
Just thought it was a bit overkill, especially if not using it (pump)

More interesting would be the bug fixes:
https://github.com/distcc/distcc/pull/160
https://github.com/distcc/distcc/pull/161
Currently everything is hardcoded to "4".

So get the project maintenance on track, and I can help with the code.

The python thing is not terribly important to me, so just do either...

/Anders
(afbjorklund, itensionanders)