[distcc] IO timeouts

Morrell, Michael michael.morrell at intel.com
Tue May 5 15:21:35 MDT 2015

I’m new to distcc.  I downloaded 3.2rc1 and compiled it on OS X recently and began experimenting.

I’m getting a lot of “IO timeout” errors and I don’t know what could be causing them.

I am using two servers running distccd, each with 8 processors.

My DISTCC_HOSTS is “machine1/8,cpp,lzo machine2/8,cpp,lzo”.

I have DISTCC_FALLBACK set to 0.

I’m running the command “pump make -j16”.

Usually, I get no compilation done at all.  Everyone that is attempted gets a timeout.

I’m even increased dcc_connect_timeout from 4 to 20 seconds and it still occurs.

From the logs, I see 31 object files being tried, and 17 get the error 107 (EXIT_IO_ERROR) and another 14 get error 116 (EXIT_NO_HOSTS).

I’d appreciate any ideas on what to do here.

Thanks,

   Michael