[distcc] small redesign...

Łukasz Tasz lukasz at tasz.eu
Wed Oct 15 13:53:02 MDT 2014

Hi Guys,

please correct me if I'm wrong,
- currently distcc tries to connect server 3 times, with small delay,
- server forks x childs and all of them are trying to accept incoming
connection.
If server runs out of childs (all of them are busy), client will
fallback, and within next 60 sec will not try this machine.

What do you think about redesigning distcc in a way that master server
will always accept inconing connection, fork a child, but in a same
time only x of them will be able to enter compilation
task(dcc_spawn_child)? (mayby preforking still could be used?)

This may create kind of queue, client always can decide by his own, if
can wait some  time, or maximum is DISTCC_IO_TIMEOUT, but still it's
faster to wait, since probably on a cluster side it's just a pick of
saturation then making falback to local machine.

currently I'm facing situation that many jobs are making fallback, and
localmachine is being killed by make's -j calculated for distccd...

other trick maybe to pick different machine, if current is busy, but
this may be much more complex in my opinion.

what do you think?
regards
Łukasz Tasz