[distcc] DISTCC_POTENTIAL_HOSTS, localhost, and slots

Victor Norman vtn2 at calvin.edu
Thu May 15 06:36:14 MDT 2014

Wow!  A reference to DMUCS!

I'm the author of that code, and yes, it hasn't been touched since 2006...
:-(  New job, new location, new priorities, etc...

It was made pre-pump-mode, so I doubt it works with it...  But, it might...

Perhaps I should really open-source that code so anyone could contribute to
it.

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 7:37 AM, Dave Abrahams <dave at boostpro.com> wrote:

> Wow, Jeff, that looks pretty awesome.  It hasn't been touched since 2006,
> though; does it work with pump mode?
>

> On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 8:00 AM, Jeff Domogala <jeff.domogala at oracle.com>wrote:
>
>> Another suggestion if you don’t want to dig into the code…  I ran across
>> DMUCS (http://dmucs.sourceforge.net) about 8 years ago when I was
>> building up a farm of machines to be used by a couple hundred users.  DMUCS
>> will manage the compute resources and is able to handle unavailability of
>> resources.  I did make a few of my own tweaks to the source code for
>> monitoring and other glitches I have run into along the way.  I’m still
>> using DMUCS as my frontend for distcc and am very happy.  If there are any
>> questions about my setup fire away.
>>

>> --Jeff

Prof. Victor Norman
Computer Science Dept., Calvin College
vtn2 at calvin.edu / 616 526-7805

“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left
to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” -- Antoine de Saint
Exupéry