[distcc] Distcc is not scalling linearly , Pls help

yudhistir reddy yudhistir.reddy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 06:44:21 MST 2014

Hi Martin,

Thank you . It is helpful . I can see now, more no of CPUs are used during
build . But i am sad that its not reducing the build time .  Am i missing
something ? Any suggestion to check with to reduce build time with distcc .

My standalone build on "client" machine with -j32 takes around 66 mins
without DISTCC .

Data from Distcc Normal Mode:

I captured data with different -j value and used your suggestion to
increase the CPUs during build .

             Client machines Server machines
(distccd running) j value CPUs used during build target name Build time
(Secs) Mins  Client build01 build02 client 24 build01/build02/Client:8
final-build 3750 62.5  client build01 build02 client 32 not captured exactly
final-build 3609 60.15  client build01 build02 client 64 build01/build02:
21 , Client:20 final-build 3808 63.46667  client build01 build02
client 144 build01/build02:
50 , Client:32 final-build 5106 85.1

 Configuration:

 Client machine ( 16 CPU , dual socket , Linux machine)

 build01/build02(64 CPU , 4 socket, Linux machine)

 DISTCC_HOSTS=build01/128 build02/128 client/32

Regards
Yudhistir