[distcc] Problem with distcc and pump mode: failed to connect to unix-domain: Permission denied

Uwe Scholz nurfuernews at web.de
Mon Oct 14 05:02:02 MDT 2013

Hi distcc users,

Some days ago I posted my question already in the gentoo mailing list,
but nobody could help me there, so I try it here again. I use gentoo
linux and I have two computers at home: A slow desktop PC (the distcc
client) and a fast notebook (the distcc server).

The problem is that distcc does not work on my client together with pump
mode. Actually, distcc is working, but together with pump mode I get
strange error messages and can't find a solution for it.

For example I tried to install minitube on my desktop PC by

pump emerge minitube

In the output of the make process for nearly every new file to be
processed the error message

distcc[2815] ERROR: failed to connect to UNIX-DOMAIN /tmp/distcc-pump.boOiEs/socket: Permission denied
distcc[2815] (dcc_build_somewhere) Warning: failed to get includes from include server, preprocessing locally

occurs. So, if I get this right, pump mode is not working. Distcc itself
is working, as my notebook is compiling something for the client,
though. Also, no error message shows up when I just type "emerge
minitube".

/tmp/distcc-pump.boOiEs/socket is owned by root as you can see here:
ls -l /tmp/distcc-pump.boOiEs/socket
srwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 10. Okt 09:55 socket

The file /etc/distcc/hosts on the distcc client looks like
uwe-notebook/8,cpp,lzo 127.0.0.1/1
where uwe-notebook is the distccd server.

In both /etc/portage/make.conf on the client and the server side I have
FEATURES="preserve-libs sandbox ccache distcc parallel-fetch"
CCACHE_CPP2=1
CCACHE_DIR="/var/tmp/ccache"

The CFLAGS are set to nocona on the client and to core2 on the server
side.

I want to understand why pump mode is not used and what causes the error
message above. Can anyone give me a clue?

Ciao,
Uwe