[distcc] Using a weaker machine or not

Victor Norman vtn2 at calvin.edu
Wed Jul 18 14:00:18 MDT 2012

There is a tool out there that I wrote a long time ago called DMUCS, which
is a wrapper around distcc.  I built it for just this situation -- where
you have some machines that are much faster than others in your compilation
farm.

dmucs.sourceforge.net  is where you can find it.

I have not maintained this tool, I'm sorry to say.  I've spent some time
rewriting it in python, but haven't finished that...

What DMUCS does is run a little daemon on each compilation machine,
monitoring that machine's load average.  Also, you configure DMUCS to know
that some machines are x amount faster than other machines.  Then, in your
makefile, you run the dmucs tool, which find the best machine at the time
-- i.e., the fastest machine, unless that fastest machine's load average is
already high -- and tells distcc to use the best machine for that
compilation.

I think dmucs still does work -- but you might have a bit of a time
compiling it, as it is getting pretty old now.

let me know if you are more interested, and/or need help.

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Αναστασίου Γεώργιος <
ganastasiougr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes they are, i can see that with distccmon,but i am not sure about the
> percentage of use each pc uses for compiling,even if the order is from
> stronger to weaker machine.
>

> On 18 July 2012 22:00, Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote:
>
>> Have you looked at the logs to check the jobs are actually being
>> distributed?
>>

> __
> distcc mailing list            http://distcc.samba.org/
> To unsubscribe or change options:

Prof. Victor Norman
Computer Science Dept., Calvin College
vtn2 at calvin.edu / 616 526-7805

“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left
to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” -- Antoine de Saint
Exupéry