[distcc] Distcc Network Manager for OSX

Alex Mohr amohr at adobe.com
Mon Sep 12 19:29:02 MDT 2011

I've written a UI based tool (+ minimal mysql db + php service page) for
our group that allows users to register/unregister themselves to a local
pool of machines. I created it to be a fairly brain dead way of users to
take advantage of distcc on their machines for unix based builds (android
NDK works great).

The tool provides the following functionality:

* Live central registry of machines in network
   * Includes adapter you'd like to bind with
* Dynamic jobs available updating for all machines on network based on CPU
usage + available RAM
    * ~/distcc/hosts file continuously updated with machines + CPUs
available per machine to avoid defaulting to localhost compile if remote
machine busy with other jobsŠor machine is not reachable.
    * Dock Icon shows how many CPUs are available, or how many you're
actively using if your have active compile(s).
* Central storage, distribution, and management of toolchains
    * Toolchains are automatically distributed and mounted amongst all
machines on network as compressed dmg
* Live statistics of all jobs across entire network
* Auto updating of tool.

TC=Total Compiled, TPP=Total PreProcessedŠThese are currently not very
accurate, I hope to get much more accurate results by tying directly into
distcc stats.

Just checking if there's enough interest for me to start the process of
open sourcing it.  I have a lot more ideas for optimization.  Below is a
fairly screenshot that each client receivesŠI'm thinking of eventually
moving a lot of the stats to a server php to avoid network traffic.