[distcc] compiling with distcc on x86_64 from within a 32-bit chroot?

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Sat Jun 25 06:31:25 MDT 2011

On 25 June 2011 05:22, Audio Phile <da_audiophile at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is this possible?  I have two x86_64 boxes both of which have 32-bit chroots for compiling.  I'm trying to get distcc to work INSIDE the chroots such that they can share processors.  I'm failing :)
>
> Basically, work doesn't get distributed outside of the chroot.  Has anyone done this and what was the trick?

That should work fine.  You need to make sure it's the compiler inside
the chroot that actually runs, for which there are at least two
possibilites:

1- run distccd inside the chroot
2- if you need/want to run it outside, make sure that its path finds a
shell script that runs 'exec schroot -c natty_32 gcc "$@"' (adjust to
fit) to enter the chroot