[distcc] can we use distcc with bmake ?

Fergus Henderson fergus at google.com
Wed Mar 30 09:49:18 MDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 6:35 AM, yudhistir reddy
<yudhistir.reddy at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> Thank you so much for your reply and its cool to know that it will work on
> bmake .  Please see my comments inline with [Yudhi]
>
> > (1) Can we use this tool with bmake . We use bmake .
>
> If by bmake you mean <http://www.crufty.net/help/sjg/bmake_1.htm> then
> apparently yes. Let us know if it works.
>
> [Yudhi ]-  Yes i am using the bmake which you mentioned .
>
> I untarred this distcc-3.1 and running below command to install  <
> following this link  http://distcc.samba.org/index.html  >
>
> ./configure && make && sudo make install
>
> I am installing the distcc at my home location in server .
>
> Error at the end of installation :
> Snippet
> >>>
> After installing distcc, please complete the survey in the file
> "survey.txt".
>
> "Makefile", line 481: Need an operator
> make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
> <<<<
>
> When i checked the 481 line of Makefile it refers to the dependency file
> with below line
>
> # Grab the dependency files generated by gcc's -MD option.
> -include */*.d
>
> Is this error need to be resolved or is it ok to procced with remaing part
> of install ?

You need to resolve that error.
Using "gmake" (GNU Make) rather than "make" is the best approach.

But another possible solution is to just delete (or comment out) that line
and then try again.

>  (2) what would be the steps i should follow to install this tool . I did
> not
> > find any install guide or something .
>
> On Debian/Ubuntu, 'sudo apt-get install distcc'.  If you're on BSD
> (where bmake seems popular?) it's probably in the ports collection and
> could be installed through there.  Which OS are you using?
>
> [Yudhi] - I am using Freebsd .
>
> Regards
> Yudhistir
>
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote:
>
>> On 30 March 2011 18:53, yudhistir reddy <yudhistir.reddy at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi ,
>> >
>> > I was just searching google for any tool which can do the distributed
>> build
>> > to reduce compile time . I came across this wonderful tool distcc .  I
>> would
>> > like to try this to see the build compile time improvement .
>> >
>> > My questions :
>> >
>> > (1) Can we use this tool with bmake . We use bmake .
>>
>> If by bmake you mean <http://www.crufty.net/help/sjg/bmake_1.htm> then
>> apparently yes. Let us know if it works.
>>
>> > (2) what would be the steps i should follow to install this tool . I did
>> not
>> > find any install guide or something .
>>
>> On Debian/Ubuntu, 'sudo apt-get install distcc'.  If you're on BSD
>> (where bmake seems popular?) it's probably in the ports collection and
>> could be installed through there.  Which OS are you using?
>> Martin
>>

> __
> distcc mailing list            http://distcc.samba.org/
> To unsubscribe or change options:

Fergus Henderson <fergus at google.com>

"Defend the user, exclude no one, and create magic." -- Eric Schmidt.