[distcc] can distcc speed up the compilation of a single compilation unit?

Mihai Moldovan ionic at ionic.de
Sat Sep 4 20:32:32 MDT 2010

Yeah, sure, I was just waiting for his response.
Even the compilation of one file can be sped up, if the other client is
fast enough. Though, this may not always be true. Imagine the
compilation itself takes very little time, but preprocessing ages. In
this case, only distcc pump mode can drastically speed the process up,
as in normal mode preprocessing is done on the local machine anyway.

No idea though, whether transferring all those stuff actually has no
impact, though.

So unless the local machine is really, really slow and the clients
incredibly fast, I doubt whether installing and setting up distcc makes
up for the saved compilation time. :p