[distcc] can distcc speed up the compilation of a single compilation unit?

Nathan Ridge zeratul976 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 4 19:38:53 MDT 2010

Hello,

I just came across distcc and it attracted my interest. I have a question about how it works: can it speed up the compilation of a single compilation unit, or can it only speed up the compilation of a project that involves several compilation units?

In other words, does distcc simply distribute compilation by having different machines compile different compilation units and then linking them together at the end (in this case each machine is still compiling a complete compilation unit), or does it somehow split up a single compilation unit into chunks and give each chunk to a different machine?

Thanks,

Nate.