[distcc] Disable compression

Fergus Henderson fergus at google.com
Tue Dec 29 21:11:03 MST 2009

Currently you can't disable compression without also disabling pump mode.
If you try, you should get an error message: "pump mode (',cpp') requires
compression (',lzo').

Using just "192.168.1.20" in the hosts file should work... it will disable
both pump mode and compression.
You can use this to compare performance with and without compression by
comparing with no options and with just the ",lzo" option.
I suspect that disabling compression will not improve performance, even with
GigE, because the CPU cost of sending the data is similar to the CPU cost of
compressing it, and C/C++ source code typically compresses fairly well.

Fergus Henderson <fergus at google.com>