[distcc] gcc's -x handling is complex

Hinz, Daniel W Daniel.Hinz at xerox.com
Wed Dec 2 11:32:55 MST 2009

I'm new to distcc and have not gotten things to work, yet. Running
distccmon-text I see:

 31028  Blocked
[0]

 31033  Blocked
[0]

 31037  Blocked
[0]

 31050  Blocked
[0]

 31285  Compile
localhost[0]

 31290  Compile
localhost[1]

 31292  Compile
localhost[2]

 31336  Compile
localhost[3]

So, I turned on logging and found this line after all of my compile
invocations:

distcc[5070] (dcc_scan_args) gcc's -x handling is complex; running
locally

Sure enough, the person who wrote the script that invokes distcc (pump
mode) does include -x on the command line. The code base is a mixture of
c and c++, the with the switch set appropriately.

Are these two pieces of information related and what should I learn from
it?

Also, I have not found a definition of 'Blocked' in any of the
documentation I've found so far. What does that indicate?

Thanks,

Dan Hinz