[distcc] traffic problems with distcc3.1 on solaris10

Fergus Henderson fergus.henderson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 00:13:05 MDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 12:02 AM, 朱晓靖 <renraxx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, Fergus Henderson and everyone,
> I found something about the problem, when I use "gmake -j20" directly in
> the shell, distcc works perfectly. However the error happens when I
> integrate "gmake -j20" into my schedule script. I think I can resolve the
> problem on monday. Thanks very much for your help.
>
> by the way, when I use pump gmake -j20, it says"*Preprocessing locally.
> Include server not covering: Couldn't determine default system include
> directories*",

What are the next few lines of the error message?

> I read the help, it tells " To determine the default system header
> directories, the include server runs the compiler once for each language
> needed during its session", But I don't know what to do, is anyone kind to
> give a tip?

Are you using gcc?

If not, it may require editing include_server/compiler_defaults.py in the
distcc sources to support your compiler.
You would need to figure out (perhaps using your compiler's documentation)
how to compute the search path that your compiler uses to find system header
files.

>  And another problem, I try to compile distcc on solaris8 with forte 6. but
> many files failed to compile. for example src/compile.c file, at line 123,
>         int delta = strlen(discrepancy_suffix) -
>             strlen(include_server_port_suffix);
>         int slash_pos = strlen(include_server_port)
>                         - strlen(include_server_port_suffix);
>         /* Because include_server_port_suffix is a suffix of
> include_server_port
>          * we expect to find a '/' at slash_pos in filename. */
>         assert((*filename)[slash_pos] == '/');
>         (void) strcpy(*filename + slash_pos, discrepancy_suffix);
>         return 0;
> compiler says there is a error before or after int. I'm confused, I'm a C++
> developer and not familiar with special C compiler, I think it's a weak of
> Forte 6.

Yes... clearly your compiler doesn't support C99, and it looks like some C99
syntax has crept in to the distcc sources.

Some possible alternatives:
  - make sure that you are invoking your compiler with the right flags to
enable C99 features, if it supports C99
  - upgrade to a more recent version of your compiler that supports C99, if
available
  - use gcc
  - port distcc to work with your compiler

Feel free to send patches to make distcc compile with your compiler.

--
Fergus Henderson <fergus.henderson at gmail.com>